2018-19 STEM Teaching Fellows
The Foundation for East Baton Rouge School System will award grant funds of $1,000 to 15 eligible EBR teachers to recognize and build capacity for excellence, innovation, and leadership in the field of STEM education PK-12. This project is funded by Capital One. See 2017-18 Profiles of STEM Fellows.
Application Deadline: May 11, 2018
Purpose of Grant: To establish and support a cadre of “STEM Teaching Fellows” who, armed with content knowledge, innovative teaching strategies, and an entrepreneurial spirit, can support their colleagues and transform EBRPSS schools into institutions of innovative STEM teaching and learning.
STEM Teacher Leader Model: The STEM Teaching Fellows program features year-round professional development and collaborative resource-building and sharing activities. Continuity of these efforts will be ensured through participation in active learning communities and the sharing of promising practices via district-wide professional development venues and at practice-sharing events sponsored by the STEM Learning Network.
Overview: The project seeks a year-long commitment from PK-12 teachers who are interested in:
- Building an understanding and knowledge of student engagement, career building, and STEM learning resources available
- Supporting and cultivating strategies to engage underrepresented, underserved youth in STEM
- Identifying, researching, and sharing promising STEM practices with colleagues
- Developing STEM instructional kits, lessons, and tools to be shared across the district and via the STEM Teaching Lab to increase awareness and participation in STEM
- Building your leadership capacity with skills, attitudes and habits of mind to act as agents of change
- Participating in the STEM Learning Network and teams to support sustained system-wide engagement through policy, advocacy, and decision making
Benefits: Participants will receive:
- $1,000 Grant award
- Recognition as a FEBRSS STEM Teaching Fellow in media and at various events
- Regular professional development and leadership opportunities
- Current full-time EBRPSS PK-12 educator
- Attendance and participation in STEM Teaching Lab activities
- Participation in monthly STEM Teacher Leader PD sessions (Total of six sessions + Graduation in April at the 2019 FEBRSS Gala)
- Provide at least one professional development workshop along with resources and video/slide show illustrating your STEM work on your campus (school, district, or community level)
- Sign a Memorandum of Agreement detailing roles and responsibilities of the project
Deadline: May 11, 2018
Directions for submitting: Complete online application: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2018StemFellowsApp