2016-2017 Innovative STEM Teacher Grant
Request for Proposal
Foundation for East Baton Rouge School System (FEBRSS) is seeking proposals from teachers in East Baton Rouge Parish School System (EBRPSS) to pilot and share effective STEM teaching strategies in their classrooms. Projects must be innovative, measurable, and have potential for replication in other schools in EBRPSS. Projects must focus on increasing student interest and participation in STEM and awardees are expected to share strategies and outcomes throughout the STEM Learning Network.
STEM Learning Network Vision and Strategy
Improving STEM education is essential to growing the East Baton Rouge region’s competitive technological edge and teachers are the primary agents for effecting meaningful change. With the proper funding, support, and recognition, innovative STEM teachers in EBR can mentor other teachers, share best practices and serve as role models for others. The Foundation is committed to helping our community inspire and train the next generation of STEM leaders. The STEM Learning Network, funded by ExxonMobil, is designed to serve as a comprehensive route to transforming the promise of STEM education into real impact for our community.
The STEM Learning Network supports the growth and quality of STEM education in the Baton Rouge area by:
- Assisting schools that want to create inspirational STEM experiences, career pathways and programs.
- Connecting the best STEM schools, teachers, and administrators to each other and to national resources.
- Driving and recognizing successful STEM education programming and partnership innovations through a network approach.
Scope of Grant
This grant project will award a funding opportunity (from $500 - $1000) for 15 - 30 teachers who will develop and deliver highly innovative and interactive STEM teaching strategies to be shared throughout the Network.
The applicant must be a K-12 educator. Ideal grant candidates will incorporate into their proposal elements proven to increase interest, skills, and participation in STEM, such as
- Interdisciplinary focus
- Content driven by real-world applications, through hands-on, inquiry-, project-, or design-based learning
- Project elements that incorporate critical thinking, collaboration, and small group work
- Integration of technology in meaningful ways
- Participation by STEM professionals
- Intentional integration of STEM career opportunities
- Please submit a brief proposal to the Foundation for East Baton Rouge School System
- Email proposal to: KStovall@FoundationEBR.org
- Deadline to submit: November 14, 2016 @ 8:00am
- Grant recipients will be announced by: November 28, 2016
Proposal Format: Applicants should use attached application to provide the following:
- Project information and “signatures of support” by teacher and principal
- Project description and action plan
- Need for project
- Intended outcomes
- Strategy, activities, and action plan
- Partners - that may be involved
- Methods used to measure outcomes (changes in STEM interest or participation)
- Clear justification and specific ways in which the requested materials or technology will support student learning - Purchase of non-consumable instructional materials only.
Expectations of grant recipients:
- Signed MOU returned to FEBRSS
- Spend donated funds only on approved expenses. Maintain all receipts and documentation of funds spent and submit to FEBRSS for reporting
- Submit a final report that includes photos and written documentation of impact on students as requested by FEBRSS.
- Prepare a MAPs video for EBRPSS internal use.
- Attend STEM Learning Network event in April, 2017 and deliver a short presentation about their winning project.
- Allow FEBRSS to record presentation in some format and distribute throughout the Network
- Acknowledge FEBRSS, donor and grant award on school website and in parent newsletters.